Tuesday, June 15, 2010

An Inside Look: Erin

Hi, I'm the main writer/editor of the UAID blog, but I've never formally introduced myself. Of course, you've probably learned a lot about my interests if you've been reading my posts, but I'll share a little more background here.

In my undergraduate program, I studied elementary education, Spanish, and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, partly for the global view that gave me of social issues. I grew up in metro Detroit, and during my time as an undergrad, I had the opportunity to participate in summer fellowships in Detroit, which really jump-started my focus on the city.

Seeing and hearing about the issues in Detroit Public Schools and in the city as a whole, along with regular reading of the Detroit Free Press, gave me the background necessary for UAID's first crazy idea: an urban goat farm. My main concern has been and will continue to be Detroit's children, which is why I'm excited about projects such as soil remediation, horticultural therapy, and educational enrichment.

This fall, I'll start a master's program in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, a field I find relevant since the fastest growing population in Detroit consists of immigrants.

1 comment:

  1. The Detroit Lead Poisoning Prevention Program is in need of intervention. Long-time advocates fear alienating political connections by speaking truth to power. http://fixdetroit.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete